I just noticed that despite the fact that I swear I wrote
about New Years the last thing I posted was about Christmas and I wrote that in
February (almost 4 months ago now)! I would say I am sorry and it won’t happen
again but that would be a big lie because we all know when lives get busy we
cut something out and unfortunately this isn’t high on the priority list at the
moment. But for those of you that care
why I haven’t written I will defend myself a little.
First of all we have done A LOT of travelling in the last
five months, which I will briefly describe below.
Second, we have done a lot of school work: Phil completed
his masters at the end of April and I am in the exam class which I will
hopefully complete and pass by the end of June at which time I will have one
less excuse not to write.
Third, unfortunately I have still been dealing with
pretty bad neck pain. I have seen
specialists had a lot of tests and some procedures involving lots of
needles. But all to no avail; the pain
started over a year ago at this point and I have had little relief. I will see
a specialist again at the end of June and hope that will bring some light to
the issue and the way forward.
Ok done with excuses onto our travel. Hopefully at some
point I will go back and explain these trips in further detail but no promises
so for now this will have to do:
January
We got quite a few small storms that brought a lot of snow for the area.
 |
| View from our window. |
So in January we took a day trip with some friends down to Venice to see the annual gondola Witch Race on the Grand Canal. We took a view from the Rialto Bridge. This is the first real shots Amy took with her new Camera.
 |
View of the Grand Canal from the Rialto Bridge
with the Fog burning off. |
We spent another weekend in Garmisch with some fellow TDS
folks. Visited Zugspitze and
Neuschwanstein Castle. We accidentally walked into Austria in our attempt to get down the mountain. Then we took a train ride down the mountain, well actually through the mountain.
 |
| Snow covered from the bridge behind the Castle. |
Then we spend a weekend in Lisbon with Rory, Johanna,
& River who have a great blog describing our experience here. Best part (other than the company) was the wine which kept us warm in the rain and wind.
February
Phil spent two weeks back in Virginia for a class and I
spent a week at Landstuhl getting lots of needles.
Then we went to Florence together which is probably one
of my favorite places so far. We saw
David who is just magnificent along with a lot of other great art and the city
itself which is gorgeous! On the way back we took a short stop through Pisa to see the iconic tower.
 |
| This is the replica and does not do the real thing justice. |
 |
| The tower leans a lot, its actually shaped more like a banana! |
I also spent a week in Kuwait trying a court martial with Jon, my first and last co-counsel as TDS.
March
I went on a lovely girls weekend to Tuscany with the
ladies of the JAG office from Germany.
The highlights were our cooking class and my jaunt with Johanna into a
sleepy town above Greve which had cobblestone streets, beautiful views, and
fabulous wine & cheese.
Phil and I also went to Istanbul for a weekend which was
a lot of fun. We had some great food and just the sounds and smells and taking
in the atmosphere was fabulous.
 |
| The Blue Mosque at Sunset during final prayers! |
 |
| The Hagia Sophia at night, the Sistine Chapel of the Western Roman Empire. |
Not to mention the great historical places, beautiful Mosques, churches, Bazaar's and of course fortifications. Phil had a great time looking at the aftermath of the invention of siege fire arms.
 |
Walls of Constantinople "Theodosian Walls" breached by the first successful usage of cannon fire on 29 May 1453. |
 |
| Phil and I walking on the Walls. |
 |
The Basilica Cistern in Istanbul. Yeah fish still live here. |
 |
Amy looking through the Spice Bazaar in downtown Istanbul, We also went to the Grand Bazaar built 1455. |
April
April was a slow month as far as actual travelling as we
only had one weekend trip to Sicily. We
saw a lot of ruins and again had some fabulous food and wine. One of the highlights was a small wine shop
with a bread bar where they put all different spreads onto bread; the
combination of flavors was great.
We also drove down the coast and through the country side of Sicily to check out the Ancient ruins of Selinunte. One of the oldest Greek Colonies in Sicily. We also went to the Valley of temples for more ruins.
The views of the ruins we saw were amazing. We walked up and down the hillsides over ancient Greek ruins, fortifications and Temples. We also walked around the Port city of Trapani. It has been an important since antiquity to the salt trade for the Carthaginians Romans, Normans and many other medieval fiefdoms.
 |
| An Ancient Greek Temple at Segeste. |
 |
Trapani, Sicily
|
 |
| Greek Theater on the hill side of Segeste. |
 |
| Temple of Hera in Selinunte. |
One of the most interesting visits we took was the simple way on manufacturing Sea Salt, in the shallows of of the Mediterranean the ancient villages would make limestone lagoons fill them with sea water and let it evaporate to make salt, the windmills were used to pump the water in. There was an old village in the lagoon called Mozia that was destroyed but eventually resettled at Marsala and made a better and longer lasting city with better fortifications.
 |
Marsala, and Mozia Salt flats and evaporation lagoons with windmills that produce the Sicilian Sea Salt!
|
We also did do a day trip to Saove which is just 30
minutes from us and something we have wanted to do for a while now. We met up with friends (Jim, Lauren, & Lydia) and walked around and visited several wineries in the area.
 |
| Soave Castle from the bottom. |
After climbing to the top of the hill and seeing the castle and beautiful views we made our way around the town to different cafes and wineries tasting and buying. Phil finally had Amarone and we started our wine collection.
On another local venture Phil and I dragged Catherine and her kids to La Rotunda, which Thomas Jefferson's house is modeled after in the pouring rain! Despite the rain it was beautiful to see a monument that is so close to home (walking distance).
|
|
La Rotunda in Vicenza in the Pouring Rain.
|
 |
Monte Berico from La Rotunda
which can also be viewed from our spare bedroom! |
Catherine also dragged me on my first ODR trip. We went to Villa Godi Malinverni, Palladio’s first villa. Despite the needlessly long bus ride, the just ok wine and the fact that we didn't recognize it as a Palladian Villa due to the lack of columns it was a great day with a great friend who I miss dearly!
 |
| Catherine and I at the Villa sampling Vino. |
May
May was also a slow month we only went on one weekend
trip to Genoa, Nice and Monaco. The highlight of this was seeing the Grand Prix. We stopped at a few villages on the way including Eze, Villefranches-sur-Mer, Touluon, Antibes, Couldron, and a nice little Italian village looking for gas. So we pretty much saw the highlights of the French Riveria. I don’t know what I expected but it wasn’t
what it was. The area around Monaco (The
French Riviera) is also amazing. It is
dotted with a ton of little towns with a lot of character where you can get
lost in all day.
 |
| What is left of Christopher Columbus' House in Genoa |
 |
| Looking for gas in Italy and discovered this town. |
 |
| Eze church and Castle, great French village. |
 |
| The Church in Eze. |
 |
| Touluon on the French Riveria. |
 |
| Amy had a chance to try her new skills with photographing water. |
 |
| Amy's second try. |
 |
| The Grand Prix from the cheap Seats! |
 |
| Having a beer on the track afterwards! |
 |
| Another small town on the Riveria called Antibes. It had a Castle. |
Well just rehashing all of that made me exhausted, I can't believe we are able to do all this but am so thankful for the opportunity. While we have a busy summer planned as well but we are hoping that not having classes will give us a little more downtime and hopefully allow me to keep you all updated a little more.
No comments:
Post a Comment