As we walked through the hills of Cinque Terra we kept seeing this metal rail. Cinque Terra is a region full of both grape and olive vineyards. Phil thought that the farmers used the rail to attach bags to and send up or down the mountain. This made sense, but not quite to me because of how close to the ground it was, I thought all the grapes or olives would get smashed against the ground on the way and prove useless in the end. But we kept seeing them everywhere so we knew they had to be for something related to the crop. Well it turns out this single rail that goes straight up and down the mountain in places, switches back and forth in others, and goes anywhere from 2 to 15 feet off the ground is a trolly system for graps and olives.
The trolly cart pictured below holds a rider and two or more cars full of olives or grapes. The person who rides this cart has no harness, I didn't even see a seatbelt, and it goes over and through the hillsides in some pretty crazy ways. So next time instead of great adventure you should consider heading to Cinque Terra for a ride on the trolly. Phil said that they probably put kids on it when they are really young so that they don't know it is something to be afraid of, I said they probably put old people on it because if they are "lost" they don't lose the healthiest/strongest hands of the young. Either way I would not get on it!
Never in a million years would I get on that thing!
ReplyDelete